The Many Adventures of Keira!

This is our page to document our family's adoption journey- starting from when we first started planning for our little one, to when we brought her home. We're also going to keep this updated with all of the things that Keira has been up to since she's been home with us here in the U.S!

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Starfish, Songs and Sippy Cups

Yesterday Keira and I went on a little adventure to the Birch Aquarium in La Jolla. It was kind of a spur of the moment thing. We first went to go and get a couple of my tires changed out on my car, had lunch and after that I was driving around trying to think of something fun for us to do. I decided to start heading down into San Diego to possibly go to the Zoo or Sea World, but instead made a detour to the Aquarium. Keira enjoyed Sea World when we went, but she REALLY loved the fish and tanks at the Aquarium. She was sound asleep by the time we got there, so I loaded her up into her stroller and went inside. I talked to her a little to get her to wake up and once she saw the fish...she was a barrage of "Oohs" and "Waaaas", which is her version of "Wow!" She got to touch some Starfish and had a great time. I'm sorry that I don't have any pictures. I carried her most of the time to get her nice and close up with the fish, so I couldn't maneuver the camera. After that, we took a little stroll on Girard to check out some of the shops before heading home. She took a quick nap, played and was SO zonked out that she barely peeped until 6:30am. Dan and I each went in a couple of times to check if she was breathing!
She cracks me up. I was listening to a CD one day of Agnus Dei in the car. She started trying to sing along with it, but instead of singing "Alleluia"...She starting singing "Ahhhhhhh......Laaaa". Wrong religion Keira. Not Allah. I play it for her every once in a while so that she can sing it for me since it makes me laugh. Is it bad that I laugh at my child? Well....she laughs too, so I guess it's ok :). There is also a song that I was listening to "Tell Me About It" by Joss Stone and she immediately started moving her neck like that one skit with the guys in the bar on Saturday Night Live...you know what I mean! Will Ferrell and Chris Kattan in the suits... what were those guys called again? Anyway, she totally starts doing that with her neck so I start cracking up...well that makes her start cracking up...then she does it even more! So we're laughing hysterically in the car. It's the only song that I've seen her do that to so when she gets in a bad mood, I'll play it and she'll start the head move and laughing. It works for right now anyway. Until she gets bored of it :). She does love music though, so there are a couple of activities that I'm going to take her to. There are music classes by Gymboree that I'm going to try today for her in Solana Beach. Also, there is a Baby Loves Disco event in May that should be hilarious.
As for Sippy Cups, Keira has gone through about 5 of them. I get concerned that she is not getting enough fluids because he hates drinking from them, but she has to use them because if she just can't use a regular cup yet without spills happening everywhere. Dan's sister Laura sent a great one that has a straw and doesn't drip. She drank from it for a while, but I think that she has trouble sucking through it since it does take a little more effort, so she stopped using it. I found a different one for her by Dr. Brown that has the rubber tip, doesn't drip and requires very little sucking. She was using that for a while, but won't tilt it back to get more liquid when the cup isn't completely full. What she DOES love are those plastic cups and straws from restaurants, but for some reason with THOSE, she does tilt her head back and gets the drink all over her face and dress. I don't get it...
Dan stopped me this morning to show me drawings that he started making of Sippy Cup designs that he could invent. They were stick figure types of drawings, but they were a pretty good idea. He has been wracking his brain trying to figure out how he can drink his coffee while on his Harley and decided that it would work for Sippy Cups as well...although I don't think that it would work out too well having aluminum Sippy Cups. That's just how Dan's mind works...drawing Sippy Cup design at 5 in the morning.

2 comments:

Paula said...

I wish I lived near you guys- I'd love to bring Jess to Sea World and the San Diego Zoo (not to mention the Happiest Place on Earth aka Disney!!!). I'm hoping to bring her to Sesame Place in PA. On Early Intervention's recommendation, we skipped the sippy cup which Jess couldn't figure out anyway and today went to the plastic cup that has a straw in it. She did pretty well getting some of the shake into her mouth.

Can you believe we've had the kids 2 months?!?!?

Terri said...

Sippy cup training is rough. She may not be up for sippy cups. As difficult as it is, have her go to a normal cup, but only put a little bit of liquid in it. Gradually move up. Once she gets that idea, try the sippy cup again, maybe?