The Many Adventures of Keira!

This is our page to document our family's adoption journey- starting from when we first started planning for our little one, to when we brought her home. We're also going to keep this updated with all of the things that Keira has been up to since she's been home with us here in the U.S!

Tuesday, April 3, 2007

The Meltdown Part II

Boy did Keira have a rough day yesterday. The night before, she was up crying almost every half hour from 1am on. I kept checking on what could possibly be wrong. She was warm, but didn't have a temperature. She wasn't hungry, wasn't thirsty and after changing her diaper, she was still crying. After about 4:30am, I finally brought her into our room. She still cried some, but at least slept for a couple of hours. I noticed that her breathing seemed a little labored, like she had a stuffed nose. I gave her a little infant Triaminic and she seemed to be in a much better mood after that. After her early afternoon nap, she was crying uncontrollably and I just couldn't figure out for the life of me what was wrong. Was it gas? She stopped crying for a minute and I had to put her in the car to pick Dan up from Huntington Beach. She was just fine on the ride up and back, and once I got her back home again, she took a nap for about 30 minutes (she slept in the car as well). We played with her for a bit and after that Dan took her outside for a stroll in the stroller. About 15 minutes later he came running in with her and wrapped her up in a blanket. She started crying hysterically. I mean CRYING... Dan said he was so worried about her because on their walk, she suddenly started shivering. She was wearing fairly warm clothes, but he said she was totally shaking. I took her temperature and she didn't have a fever. I checked my temperature too just to make sure the baby thermometer wasn't broken. Everything that worked earlier just wasn't working. I gave her a bottle and she finally started to settle down some. I put her to bed a little early since she was so tired and when she woke up...she was screaming and crying again. After trying various things, I took her into my bed and laid with her patting her back in case it was gas. She settled down some and let me put her back in her bed. She got up a couple times more, but went down right away without crying too hard. It's so hard trying to figure out what is wrong!!! I hope that she is feeling better today and if she is still crying alot, I might take her to the doctor, although I'm not sure that they will really do anything for her since she doesn't have a fever or anything....argh! We're thinking it's possibly a cold, gas, wanting her bottle or some kind of combination of everything in one. Any ideas from any of you parents out there???

1 comment:

Glenn said...

Hi Sharon - I've queried quite a few people on meltdown's as well as my pediatrician friend. As he mentioned, unless they have a temperature or not feeling well, it is really hard to diagnose behavior as you had mentioned in your post. The advice he has given me in the past is provide your baby the basic necessities and start from there and introducing additional factors to help comfort them. Based on my minimum baby experience, I think you are doing all the right things to comfort little Keira.