The Many Adventures of Keira!

This is our page to document our family's adoption journey- starting from when we first started planning for our little one, to when we brought her home. We're also going to keep this updated with all of the things that Keira has been up to since she's been home with us here in the U.S!

Saturday, February 24, 2007

The Forbidden City






















Last night, I went to get my hair washed in the beauty salon. Told you I was paranoid about drinking water in the shower. Now, I don't really honestly think that I look very Chinese, but apparently, I must. Many people have approached me asking me if I speak Chinese. At the salon, the lady that was going to wash my hair started talking to me in Chinese, then asked me if I was Chinese. I said that I was part. Her and the other lady looked at each other totally baffled and asked me why I don't speak Chinese. I told them that I wasn't from there. They then looked confused again and asked about my mother and father. I told them that they also did not live in China. She still looked a little confused. Then she asked me if I like Chinese people. I told her that I like them very much. After that, she was happy. It was kind of an odd exchange, but hey...it was a GREAT shampooing! :)






The next morning, we headed over to the Forbidden City. Candy, our guide said that the last movie that was actually filmed in the Forbidden City was The Last Emperor. Other movies after were just on movie sets. We walked along the streets to get to the City because buses and cars are not allowed near enough. As we walked, it was kind of similar to Mexico with the street vendors, except instead of Chicle, it was Forbidden City postcards and hats--they are also MUCH more persistant! They walked a good few blocks following us. Candy said the way to avoid it is to just ignore them and look straight ahead not speaking. Sure enough, that worked. All I can say to describe the Forbidden City is-----WOW. It is so huge and beautiful with so much history. There were several displays such as clocks, jewelry and art. I stood outside in one of the courtyards taking things in and it really hit me---WOW! We are here in China! Here are some of the pictures. In a couple of hours, we head to the airport to go to Guiyang. One step closer to meeting our little one!

No comments: