The Many Adventures of Keira!

This is our page to document our family's adoption journey- starting from when we first started planning for our little one, to when we brought her home. We're also going to keep this updated with all of the things that Keira has been up to since she's been home with us here in the U.S!

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Meltdown

Wow! Keira was an absolute angel today. I remember driving the car looking at her in the rearview mirror just thinking to myself how lucky I was today that she was being such an absolutely perfect baby! This morning, we did our normal morning routine and everything was great. She had her early afternoon nap and after she got up smiling and happy, mom and I took her shopping for new shoes. Since she is walking alot more, I wanted to make sure that she had some shoes that had alot more support. She was great all during lunch and at the malls, but suddenly something happened. She definitely was starting to get tired and was moving her forearm back and forth in her mouth which is her way of showing that she wants her bottle. Well, when she is tired, she normally just falls asleep in her stroller or in the carseat. She doesn't need her bottle to sleep that way, so I don't usually bring it. I don't know why today was different or what happened but as soon as we drove out of the parking lot of the mall, she started crying hysterically....and just would NOT stop!!! It was a heart wrenching, non-stop, loud, painful sounding never ending scream/cry that went on and on all the way home! It was so bad that sometimes it sounded like she couldn't even breathe! Mom was in the backseat with her and nothing that either of us would do would get her to stop. She definitely wasn't hungry, she just ate a ton at not long before. She wasn't wet, she wasn't thirsty. Was she teething? Mom gave her some Baby Oragel, but no dice. NOTHING would stop her! We even checked to make sure that there wasn't something sticking her somewhere causing actual pain, but nothing! I had a feeling what it was...but I just couldn't BELIEVE that she would be throwing that huge of a tantrum over her bottle...something that she usually doesn't even need to fall asleep outside of her crib! Dan called to see where we were and I asked him to put a bottle together for us since we were almost home. Sure enough, as soon as we got home, I put her in the crib and gave her the bottle---BAM! Meltdown over and done. She was out in about 2 minutes.
Holy COW!!! I hadn't seen a meltdown like that ever. I just can't even imagine what it's going to be like trying to get her off the bottle like we were planning on starting this weekend...eGAD! When she woke up--sweet little angel again-- like nothing happened of course.
I don't know how we're going to do this--Help!!!

1 comment:

Terri said...

You are going to do fine. Get used to the meltdowns, they happen. You'll learn quickly how to handle them and they will get better, eventually. I promise.