The Many Adventures of Keira!

This is our page to document our family's adoption journey- starting from when we first started planning for our little one, to when we brought her home. We're also going to keep this updated with all of the things that Keira has been up to since she's been home with us here in the U.S!

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Ouch!!!


I called Kaiser this morning preparing for the worst. Everyone has been saying that you should get antibiotics etc for the trip as a safeguard in case you get sick etc. It's been a bit of a struggle with Kaiser trying to get things taken care of for the adoption. Most of the time though, things have gone smoothly. I was expecting a fight when I called to make an appointment with my doctor to see him about the trip. I was pleasantly surprised to find that they actually have a travel advisory representative that you have to talk to. I called and gave her some info such as how long we would be there and what provinces we were going to. From there, she called in orders for all of the other shots that I would have to take and would send my prescriptions for antibiotics and any other prescriptions that I would need for the trip. WOW! It was pretty easy! The only thing added was since I wasn't sure if I had a second round of rubella and mumps, she wanted me to take blood tests to see if I needed to get those shots as well.

Well, I headed over to Kaiser's lab for the blood work and shots. Anyone that knows me well enough knows that I can't stand needles and beg whenever I can to have the tiny little baby needles. While sitting there getting blood drawn, the lab tech misses the vein and starts moving the needle around to try and find it... all around my arm. After that, he switched and tried again. This time he was able to get enough to do the labs.

If that wasn't bad enough, I then headed over to the nurse's clinic for my shots. I then was shot over and over again in the same arm that I had just had 2 jabs for the blood tests. I now feel like someone has thrown bricks at the same spot on my arm over and over again. I'm a walking pin cushion. It's all worth it though!

As "celebration" for finishing my shots, I headed over to Baby Depot to buy some clothes for Keira! Normally, I'm more of a gift certificate person, so needless to say, I am ashamed to say that I don't have much baby clothes buying experience! Boy was I overwhelmed!!! Keira will be 14 1/2 months by the time we go to pick her up, so I wasn't sure what sizes to buy for her. I've heard that you should buy smaller clothes since the babies are all much smaller, however, I've also heard that I should buy clothes for 12 months for her since she has been in foster care. I decided to buy clothes for 12 months old along with a sprinkling of clothes for 9 months old. I bought clothes, shoes, socks, bibs. I used to LOVE Max's (my nephew) little rompers that he used to wear, so I found some very cute ones for Keira. I couldn't find any nice thick jackets, so depending on what the weather looks like, I might have to get at least one from somewhere else! Hopefully in another color than pink since that is what color I bought everything in. You can't tell that I'm excited about having a little girl, can you? ;)

No comments: