The Many Adventures of Keira!

This is our page to document our family's adoption journey- starting from when we first started planning for our little one, to when we brought her home. We're also going to keep this updated with all of the things that Keira has been up to since she's been home with us here in the U.S!

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Potty Power!!!

I am off for the next couple of days and have decided this is it! Keira has been able to go for longer periods of time lately without wetting her diaper, so that apparently means that she has developed the muscle control needed to start really getting serious about potty training. When she was about 18 months old, she was very interested in her potty. I would sit her down once in a while to go to the potty never forcing her when she said she didn't want to. Well, for some reason lately, she has decided that she doesn't want anything to do with the potty. "No no wan pee pee in potty!" She will tell me sometimes when she has pooped but usually after it's already been done. She hasn't figured out yet to tell me when she pees.

I've heard pros and cons to using training pants. I bought some that she can supposedly feel when it's wet, but so far, they were pretty full and she didn't bat an eyelash. I'm getting the feeling that those aren't going to work. I think I'm just going to have to go the route that I've been reading about where you just have her wear only underpants instead of diapers for an hour at a time to get her used to the actual feeling of getting wet. I'm going to take her shopping to pick out her own underwear that she can wear. I'm also going to get the Potty Power DVD for her to watch. I've heard great things about it. I got her Go Potty Go!, but other than liking the dancing pandas, she doesn't seem to be getting anything else out of it. lol We'll see! I'm sure I'm probably in for a mess, but I've got Folex and cleaning supplies ready! lol

I'm also going to try some sort of reward system where she'll get stickers to put on a potty board whenever she sits on the potty and pees. Gigi did this with Max and it worked great. Hopefully it will work with Keira....we'll see.

Anyway...wish me luck. I know that it may not work and if she's not ready, she's just not ready, but I've got to start sometime, right? Anyone with any advice?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Sharon!

Stickers work great! I also took it the extra step, making a chart that shows Sun-Sat and then at the end of the week they recieved an award (small toy, ice-cream trip) for filling in all the days with stickers. Good luck! :)