The Many Adventures of Keira!

This is our page to document our family's adoption journey- starting from when we first started planning for our little one, to when we brought her home. We're also going to keep this updated with all of the things that Keira has been up to since she's been home with us here in the U.S!

Friday, July 13, 2007

The Potty


Keira has been definitely showing signs of being interested in the potty. It all kind of started with me having to take her into the bathroom with me. It's funny how little ones pay attention to everything that you do....half the time you aren't even aware that they have noticed something. Well, lately, whenever I go to the bathroom and she is with me, she keeps trying to get toilet paper to wipe my behind....yikes!!!


Well, she also has been a little drier when she wakes up from her naps as well as started to get whiny when she has a poopy diaper...is it time???


Dan said that it might be a good idea to get her a potty just in case. I went to Babies R Us and who would have thought there would be so many potty seats to choose from. They even have ones with a flusher that makes a clapping "yay" sound when they flush. I decided to go with one by Boon which doubles as a step stool as well. It has it's own toilet paper holder and is kind of cute as far as potty seats go. I'll post a picture.


I brought Keira into the bathroom and showed her how the top lifts up. She now lifts it and sits right down whenever mommy is going to the bathroom. She will also take toilet paper and throw it inside. She really likes it.

Well, the other day when I was getting ready to give Keira a bath, I decided to take her clothes off and sit her on the potty seat. Mind you, she was hoarding the last bite of her food and decided that she didn't want to swallow. I was trying to explain to her that I wasn't going to give her a bath until she swallowed her food. She still wasn't getting it. It had already started to liquify and was oozing out of her mouth at this point. I picked her up and brought her to the sink to spit it out. She wanted to keep it, so she wasn't too happy about that. I put her back on the potty seat and she started to cry. I filled up the bathtub and reached over to pick her up and put her in the tub when lo and behold.....I noticed that she peed in the potty!!! Now mind you, I'm sure it was a fluke and I haven't gotten her to be able to repeat it yet, but still...I was so proud of my little one! I think it's still too early since she can't really understand the sensation of peeing in her diaper yet... it also is not possible yet for me to explain things to her and have her understand. Nonetheless...I'm proud of my little potty girl :)

No comments: