The Many Adventures of Keira!

This is our page to document our family's adoption journey- starting from when we first started planning for our little one, to when we brought her home. We're also going to keep this updated with all of the things that Keira has been up to since she's been home with us here in the U.S!

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day!







Wow! Mother's Day. For the past few years Dan and I have kind of done a "Mother's Day" celebration of sorts with just the two of us. We had been trying to start a family for so many years now that for the past few of them, it just seemed like it was SOOOO close. This year really is the first one where I actually really am a mother... not a "one day maybe it will happen for you guys" mother or a "hopefully in the next few months" mother... but a mother with a wonderful little girl.

Things can be a little complicated though for an adoptive family on holidays such as this. Yes, I am Keira's mother, but there are also two very important women in her life that were "mothers" as well that I am so thankful for.

First, there was her birth mother. Although we know general information regarding the social circumstances in China, we will never know the exact circumstances that Keira's birth mother went through in giving her up for adoption. I don't think that I need to though. What I DO know is that if it were not for her, my beautiful, precious daughter would not be here. For that I will forever be grateful.
Secondly, there was her foster mother. She took Keira in when she was only 3 days old up until the day that she placed her in my arms at 14 months old. She loved her and took care of her as if she were her own child knowing that one day, she would have to face letting her go to another family. I couldn't imagine the pain and sadness that she must have felt- although we cried together on that day. Keira is so smart, funny, well-adjusted and affectionate. I know that so much of that was because of how she was raised for the first 14 months of her life by her foster mother.

Lastly, there is me. I'm her mother now---and will be for the rest of her life and for the rest of mine.

Dan and I put alot of thought into this Mother's Day. I wanted to try and start a tradition to honor Keira's other 2 "mothers" as well, but we made the decision that this year, being my first real Mother's Day, it's ok for me to have it all to myself. One day when Keira is old enough to understand a little more, I would like to tell her more about the other 2 women that were such a big part of her life---and from there, work with her on how and if she would like to honor them as well.

But until then and for today...it's my Mother's Day to enjoy her all to myself. I've waited and prayed for her for so long and I think it's ok. :)

Happy Mother's Day to friends and family that are mothers, soon to be mothers, and to those that have given a part of themselves to be a mother to children in the world that may not have one in their lives.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, that made my cry. Happy First Mothers Day :)

Unknown said...

Even though you would consider Keira having 2 other moms. I think you've already done your part in the acknowledgement you had mentioned in your post of both of them. At this point, Keira has the lifelong mom that you have accepted whole heartedly. This is because you have accepted the role and responsiblity of being the mom for Keira that will help shape her personality and belieff for the rest of your life. Consider the other two moms having done their part with you making sure the journey is aligned until the end.