The Many Adventures of Keira!

This is our page to document our family's adoption journey- starting from when we first started planning for our little one, to when we brought her home. We're also going to keep this updated with all of the things that Keira has been up to since she's been home with us here in the U.S!

Thursday, July 3, 2008


...I'm very sad right now.

I've been going back and forth with the idea of getting a dog for a little while now. One day a few weeks ago, I looked online and there was an absolutely adorable Cocker Spaniel that was at the local SPCA. His name was Socks and he was described as the typical adorable Cocker Spaniel and was a very sweet boy. I decided to take Keira there with me one day to meet him. She has been a little scared of dogs lately since the incident with The Tonka Truck, but when they let us in the play yard to interact with Socks, she immediately took to him. He really was a very sweet gentle guy and she would even give him treats from her hand with no fear because he was so gentle with her. I thought it was a little unusual that he squatted when he peed. Was he maybe alot younger than they thought he was? (2 years old)

I didn't want to make any decisions without Dan there, so the next day, I brought Dan with me to meet him. He was not in his Kennel so the volunteer brought him to the play yard and he was such a sweet, gentle dog. EXACTLY what we were looking for. Funny though, because when he was squatting to pee, I asked the volunteer, "Are you guys SURE that he's a boy?" He said yes. That was when Socks rolled over for me to pat his tummy. HE was a SHE!!! We played with her for a while longer when we decided to go ahead and adopt her! I was really happy and excited. We went to the desk and she started to process our paperwork. As she was doing this, a guy comes up and says, "You can't release the dog, it is sick". Sick??? What's wrong with her? Apparently the Vet was by earlier and said that she had Kennel Cough. Ok, I've had 2 dogs now that have gotten Kennel Cough before and I was really shocked when they said that Socks had this. I even said to them, "You know, I spent 30-45 minutes with her today and the same amount of time with her yesterday and she hasn't once coughed, hacked or wheezed. Are they sure that she was sick? I even offered to take her home and have her go to my Vet. They said that they would put a hold on her and for me to check on her in a few days. I called back a couple of days later and they said to call back Monday after 3. I called at exaggeration! I really was anxious to take her home. They said that they just put her on Antibiotics and for me to call back and check on her on Thursday after 3. What????? She's been sick for a week and they were JUST putting her on antibiotics??? I offered to take her home so that I could bring her to my vet for the medication, but they said that they couldn't release her.

Well, today is Thursday, and at 2:59, I started trying to call the SPCA to get a status on Socks. I was HOPING that the status would be that we could take her home! I got voice mail a few times and finally reached a person. She checked for a few minutes and came back to the phone reporting that Socks had been released to a Rescue. HUH?!?!?!? What??!??! How on earth did THAT happen??? Why would she be released to a Rescue if she already was on hold for a family that wanted to adopt her right away??

I was so upset and I wanted answers! What happened??? How could she be released to a shelter when we had a hold!

I asked to speak to a supervisor and they told me that the supervisor would be back at 4:30 and was transferred to voice mail. I called back at 4:30 and they transferred me to voice mail again. I was transferred 3 times and finally just put on hold before they disconnected me 5 minutes before they were closing at 5pm.

I just don't even know what to say. I hate to be a suspicious person, but there is something really weird going on. I mean, I'll be honest, I really don't think that she had Kennel Cough. Don't you usually have a COUGH when you have Kennel Cough? Also, not putting her on antibiotics until an entire week that she was being quarantined??? Then knowing that there was a hold for a family that obviously REALLY wanted to adopt her..why would she go to a Rescue???

None of this makes sense, but I do know this, I'll be calling them on Monday to have someone explain to me how all of this happens. I already felt in my heart that this was our dog. We already bonded with her and I'm so sad thinking that something weird is happening with her. I just want to know what happened to her and bring her home :(.


Christy said...

It sounds like someone goofed majorly--first the mistaken identity of the dog's sex (???) How could that be confused?? It's not like it's a baby chick or something! And then the "sickness".. All VERY weird. Somebody screwed up and they're too embarrassed to admit it or the dog already belonged to somebody--what a mess! I feel so bad! >>>>HuGs!<<<<

Lorraine said...

My thinking is that the kennels were getting too full. Sometimes they will transfer the more adoptable pets to rescues to free up the kennels, especially with the 4th of July or with any holiday. I still think that you can get the info where she was transferred to and pick her up from the rescue. Hopefully they still had record that you were the family ready to adopt her. Keeping my fingers crossed. That's the same thing that happened to Tyler. He went from the shelter then to Helen Woodward because the kennels were getting too full. He was much better off for it because of his anxieties, he didn't have the chance of being put down at Helen Woodward.