The Many Adventures of Keira!

This is our page to document our family's adoption journey- starting from when we first started planning for our little one, to when we brought her home. We're also going to keep this updated with all of the things that Keira has been up to since she's been home with us here in the U.S!

Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Terrible Twos???


Yesterday, my beautiful, sweet angel of a daughter was swallowed by the Tantrum Beast, who spit out a child that is equally as beautiful, but not quite as sweet! LOL Granted, this is a first time Mother talking that has always heard about the "Terrible Twos" but never actually experienced it for myself.

Is it as bad as I am making it out to be? Nah! I can still picture the little boy laying on the floor in Target kicking and screaming because he wanted to be the one to put the trashbags in the shopping cart. I remember looking at his mother as I was walking around the screaming bundle of a child on the floor and seeing the frantic look in her eyes silently pleading with me to understand that she's not a bad mother. Would that be me one day???

I know that before we have children, we always say "No, that just won't be me! There is no way that I would put up with that!" That's great and everything, but what about when reality hits? Will you stick to your guns?

Normally Keira is a happy, laughing, smiling, singing little girl. Every once in a while, sure, she'll cry over having to hear a "No" from Mommy or Daddy, but it's almost always short lived. After that, she's happy, laughing and smiling again.

Yesterday and this morning was a different story. It came out of NOWHERE! I can't even begin to count all of the times that she would burst into crying fits when she didn't get everything that she wanted. It was CONSTANT! Now, it wasn't the screaming, back arching tantrums that you normally see from kids, but it was SO much crying and whining. Well, that wasn't working too well since I would pick her up, make her look me in the face while I talked to her in a calm, low voice explaining that if it didn't stop, she would have to go in the corner. I would get her to respond to me on whether she wanted to stand in the corner (which of course the answer was no) and she would stop soon after.

Well, that worked just fine! That is....until the "No's" started. Now she was crying and yelling "NOOO!!!!!" I got her most of the time to change her "NOOOO!!!!!" to a "No thank you!" but you know that would only be as consistent as it can be for a 2 year old!

I lost track of how many times she ended up in the corner. As a matter of fact, After she cried about SOMETHING and said "NOOO!!!" while hitting the table, I looked over at her and gave her the "Oh no you DIDN'T!" look and she walked HERSELF to the corner and stood there! LOL That crazy girl...

I talked to some people at work that have children about it and the general answer was the same, "Yes, sounds like the Terrible Twos! Brace yourself!"

So here we are....The Terrible Twos. One of the good things about having her go in "The Corner" when she's misbehaving is that there are Corners EVERYWHERE....I'm getting the feeling that she will be visiting them a little more often than before! ;)

6 comments:

marie said...

Gurrrl terrible twos are continued by the terror threes!!! I just do what my mom did to the three of us growing up back in the 70's. One look of the evil crazy filipina mom look, you know the police codes 911-5150 type stare. That scared the beegeezus outta me!! I think little girls are easier to control then boys!
LOL

Rod said...

Okay, I know I'm in for it as well. Thanks for the heads up you guys. Shay, we gotta get together and jam out! I found more MORE pictures of you from back in the day! Yeah!!!

Dan and Sharon said...

Marie, Isn't that something? Back in the day, my mom used to just give me "the look" and you knew that you were getting a wooden slipper thrown at you if you didn't immediately stop whatever it was you were doing!
Rod, yes we definitely have to! Hopefully they aren't more scary pictures! lol

AmyO said...

Olivia is almost 20 months & has been really good when we go to the store...she even brings her little purse with. Well yesterday we went to Herberger's & she had a total melt down because I wouldn't let her have a toy she saw there. I wheeled us over into the purses to hide until she calmed down. So the terrible twos are coming soon for me!

marie said...

OMG Sharon! I thought I was the only one! Along with the slipper, mom would do the pinch under the armpit thing. That way it hid the evidence LOLOL. Back then we were dumb because we didn't know CPS existed LOL!!! Nowadays we can't dooo that!!! Lucky kids! Boy did we GenXers have it tough!!!

Dan and Sharon said...

Yes Marie! We all got the pinch on the leg and whatever object wasn't nailed down thrown at us. That was just the way discipline was back then. You sure couldn't do stuff like that nowadays!
That's how it starts Amy...but you know, you'll do a great job! :)