The Many Adventures of Keira!

This is our page to document our family's adoption journey- starting from when we first started planning for our little one, to when we brought her home. We're also going to keep this updated with all of the things that Keira has been up to since she's been home with us here in the U.S!

Sunday, January 6, 2008

"Be Careful of What You Wish For..."

A while back...what now seems like an eternity, I remember being kind of bummed out. Keira seemed to know everyone's names. Daddy was "Dahdee", Lola was "Doowah!"...everyone had a name- except me. Oh, she did address me as "Ba!" once in a while but everyone else was "Ba!" as well. There was no distinction between me and anyone else. (Ba, by the way in Chinese means "Daddy"- go figure).

Hey! I'm the one that was with her 24/7 for 7 months and that's the thanks I get??? Just kidding. I know that it's much harder for babies to say Mommy than Daddy, so even though it was kind of a bummer...still. I kept saying "I can't WAIT for the day that she knows my name and calls me by it!". What is the saying? "Be careful of what you wish for..."

Fast forward to months later...Here is a typical conversation between Keira and I in the car:

Keira: BahBEE!!!! (This means "Mommy" by the way)
Me: Yes baby?
K: BahBEE???
M: Yes honey?
K: BahBEE???.....BahBEE???...BahBEE...Watch! (She then moves her head back and forth to the music)
M: Oh! That's very nice honey!!! (I then move my head back and forth along with her--she laughs)
K: BahBEE? BahBEE?
M: Yes honey?
K:BahBEE?
M: Yes honey?
K:BahBEE?
M: Yes sweetheart?
K:BahBEE?
M: Yes?
K:BahBEE BahBEE??
M:Yes honey?
K: BahBEE....watch! (she once again moves her head back and forth in time with the song)

You get the picture...from the second she wakes up in the morning to the second just before she falls asleep, it's "BahBEE?"

Ah....be careful of what you wish for. For sanity's sake, I've learned the old ancient parenting skill of once in a while blocking it out. Keep in mind, when she calls me, she is calling me to get my attention and my attention has never left her. I'm still looking right at her when she's calling me to look at her. I think more than anything, she's just proud of the fact that she can say it now. That's my baby!

Don't get me wrong. I'm very happy that she finally knows me by name so I am very happy about that part of my wish. I just think that next time I make that kind of wish, I would wish that everyone else wouldn't be "BahBEE" as well. That's right...I was "Ba" and everyone else was "Ba". Now I'm "BahBEE" and so is everyone else...

That's the next wish I guess!

No comments: