The Many Adventures of Keira!

This is our page to document our family's adoption journey- starting from when we first started planning for our little one, to when we brought her home. We're also going to keep this updated with all of the things that Keira has been up to since she's been home with us here in the U.S!

Sunday, May 4, 2008

How Quickly They Learn!


With potty training, one of the things that I have learned is that consistency is so important. I've been putting Keira on the potty at intervals and she is going in her training pants less and less. Some days, she stays pretty dry the entire day...even through her naps. Amanda (daycare) has been really great about being consistent as well and when I go to pick her up will give me the low-down on everything that happened on the potty and in her diaper that day. She won't go on the potty in public place yet since I have to hold her over the potty. She definitely doesn't like that...so I have found myself limiting us on some days to either just short trips out to get home in time to use the potty or going to Westfield malls where they have great Family Bathrooms with small toilets for her to use. I'll be honest...sometimes it really gets hard and feels like your life just revolves around the potty...but it will hopefully be worth it some day soon! lol

She still isn't consistently letting me know when she has to go to the potty, but she definitely knows that she is supposed to! Let me explain...

When I ask her if she has to go potty, she usually says no. But when she doesn't want to do something...like eat or take a nap...she'll say "Mommy, pee poo poo potty!" Well, for consistency, I'll immediately get her up from whatever she is doing and put her on the potty...where she then reads or blows bubbles for a while. Does she actually go? Nope! But hey, it gets her out of her bed for a little while. After a while, when we figure out that she isn't really going to go, I take her off the potty and bring her back to her previous activity. She'll eat or nap for a bit..then guess what? "Mommy, pee poo poo potty!". Sometimes I'll tell her that she just went, but if she says it again, I've GOT to put her back on the potty so that she will tie it all together. This will happen sometimes a few times in the span of when she is supposed to be napping or eating. When she is playing or doing anything fun, of course she NEVER has to go potty... you get the picture. How quickly they learn, huh? ;)

Some people tell me to be patient. It took months of potty training to finally work. Others tell me Wow! Potty training was so easy! My child learned in just a couple of days and I really didn't have to do anything. Those are the people that I really would like to just kick really hard....REALLY hard! Just kidding :)...kind of....LOL.

No comments: