The Many Adventures of Keira!

This is our page to document our family's adoption journey- starting from when we first started planning for our little one, to when we brought her home. We're also going to keep this updated with all of the things that Keira has been up to since she's been home with us here in the U.S!

Sunday, December 30, 2007

The Lullaby

I don't always get a chance to sing Keira lullabies before she goes to bed. Unfortunately, she is still completely uninterested in reading a book with me before bed, but once in a while...she'll let me cradle her, stroke her hair and face and sing a song for her. Normally, she kind of stares off in the distance when I'm doing this, but over the past few weeks or so, when I do this, she actually stares right into my eyes the whole time. This may not seem like a big deal, but with adoptive families, it's a very big deal. There are always the concerns of attachment and even though you may THINK that your baby has attached with you, there are sometimes some signs that show that they just MAY NOT be as attached as you may think they are....such as not making eye contact with you. Keira makes eye contact with me when I ask her to or when we're playing, but there are times when she doesn't look me in the eye. Things have seemed a little different lately...in a very good way.

Sometimes when she is crying or upset, I'll hold her and hum a certain song for her and she will immediately stop crying and gently pat or rub me on the arm or back copying my movements...which is wonderful...

The other day, she was laying on the couch drinking some juice watching The Grinch. She is VERY ritualistic and always has to go through a specific routine when she lays down to watch a show. 1. She has to have her shoes off 2. She has to have her MeeMee (blankie) 3. She has to have Baby (her Hello Kitty doll) 4. She has to have her sippy of juice or milk. Lately, a new step has been added to this. 5. She wants either Dan or I to lay down with her. She pats the pillow next to her saying "Dooooooowwwwwn". I was the one that day that she wanted to lay next to her. I put my head on the pillow next to her head and watched the Grinch with her. I was so tired and started to fall asleep. I felt something on my face and woke up to a wonderful surprise! Keira was stroking my face and singing me a lullaby. Now granted, I couldn't understand the song since it was in her own baby language, but whatever she was singing was the most beautiful song I have ever heard :). After she finished she smiled at me and went back to watching The Grinch.

I don't think that she realizes it, but she gave me such a wonderful memory that I will always cherish...

No comments: